Become a Race-Day Volunteer!
The Streets of Galway 8K road-race is an annual success thanks to our amazing GCH club members and the many other volunteers who donate their time and energy to help make the event happen year after year.
With up to 2500 runners taking part in the race (it’s very popular!) we always need lots of volunteers to help with the following jobs:
- athlete registration: bib-number pick-up and t-shirt distribution from race-headquarters (on both Friday evening 10th August and on race-day Saturday the 11th August this year).
- course-marshalling: as the race is run through the streets of Galway city and suburbs on open roads, it is crucial to it's success and safety that we have marshalls at every possible junction – we need at least 75 volunteers for this job alone.
- water-station management: passing out water to 2500 thirsty runners at Pearse Stadium, Salthill and at race start/finish area in the Claddagh is a job in itself.
- post-race refreshments: lots of help is needed to pour 2500 cups of tea and coffee and make sure everyone gets their biscuits and their brack buttered (don’t forget brack doesn’t come from the shop buttered!).
- start/finish-line assistants: to ensure a safe start and finish to the race, we need voluteers to guide the runners to the start line and away from the finish area and ensure spectators do not impede those running the race.
- post-race clean-up: please don’t leave this to just a few people. After all, many hands make light work. The more help we get with this particular task, then the quicker we can all join the after race celebrations!
So, once again, as per a previous communication via e-mail, we’re calling on all club members, their friends, neighbours and relations, and indeed anyone else interested to volunteer and support this great event. Remember as well, you're not excluded from volunteering even if you plan on running the race itself on the night!
If you would like to help out and be part of the organisation of the Corrib Oil Streets of Galway 8K road-race for 2012 on Saturday 11th August this year, then please e-mail the organising committee at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks for your continued support - it is very much appreciated.